_

_

Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Hearts and Bones

So Henry has his X-rays tomorrow afternoon.  Good vibes appreciated :)

It turns out we will be x-raying something else too (besides the fetlocks). 


Anyone else have the most fun with the Prisma app?  I am!  Because I am an #artiste



He had a scrape and a small amount of swelling on his left front a few weeks ago that didn't seem to be healing properly.  I sent photos to my vet's office after two days of cold hosing (with no change/improvement).  He's totally sound so the vet wasn't too worried and told me to keep cold hosing every day and monitor it.  Initially I had planned to wrap him but he's so destructive I didn't think the wraps would hold up to life with Henry (the vet also told me that it likely wasn't necessary).  After another week I wasn't happy so I decided to have the vets out.  Now the theory is that he has broken his splint bone.  Sigh.  Unfortunately due to a miscommunication the vets who saw in him person on Friday didn't bring their x-ray equipment.


Henry's injury, a day or two after initially discovered.  Even less noticeable IRL. 




I'm trying really hard not to freak out and google too much.  At his current property there isn't really a great set-up for stall rest/limited turn out.   The smaller pens are quite muddy after all the rain lately and I honestly think it would do more harm than good.  There are stalls available but he would be the only horse inside, and I think that would be pretty upsetting to him. 




I chatted quite a bit with the vet on Friday about his history, his occasional off-ness on his right front with the trainer (that I don't feel at all when I ride him) and his fetlocks (I showed her the tiny lump that has always been there) and she recommended x-raying his hooves also.  He trotted for them on a hard surface and then I free-lunged him for her in the arena.  She agreed that he looks super sound.

This is all a little hard on my heart.  I was trying to avoid #mysterylamenesslife when I bought baby horses, because at least I would know all of their history.  And I am so surprised at how much I LOVE riding Henry, he's so weird and annoying on the ground but he is such a blast to ride.  I am really missing riding him.    


I'm not sure what to hope for, I want clear answers so I can make a proper treatment plan.  But I am somewhat limited time-wise and budget-wise in terms of what I'm able to manage.  Cross your crossables for me and Henry!  Will share the x-rays as soon as I get a copy.

32 comments:

  1. Hoping everything looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending good vibes! Hope the x-rays have good results

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but Stinker has popped splints on both fronts and they have not caused any problems. Fingers crossed that you get things figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make me feel a bit better. I hope it's a bad splint and not a broken splint bone...we'll soon find out!

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping you get clear answers and good news! I feel your pain with the #mysterylamenesslife and baby horses. I often wish Boca was much, much younger, so I didn't have what feels like never ending medical issues and no clue what he did for 7 years of his life that may or may not have contributed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #mysterylamenesslife is not favorite at all! I guess it doesn't matter what age your horse is, really they can be an idiot in the pasture and do this kind of crap (Henry did this in the pasture...somehow)

      Delete
  5. Fingers crossed. Annie has a pretty big splint on her left front that has never caused issues so hopefully it's like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it's like that too!!

      Delete
  6. First the answers and then the plan. you can drive yourself crazy with the what-ifs. I know from my own experience.
    Sending lots of good vibes that it's simple and temporary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to stick with that game plan, thanks for the good vibes!!

      Delete
  7. Fingers crossed! I'm sending positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a bummer! Fingers and hooves crossed for Henry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciated! Hope to have some answers soon

      Delete
  9. I am loving the Prisma app right now. I hope you get to the bottom of Henry's injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisma is my jam. I hope so too, I want answers...happy answers!

      Delete
  10. Prisma is so fun! I've been playing with it too.
    I hope Henry is feeling better asap! Splints are a pain in the bum, but honestly are usually not a big deal once they've set. As long as the horse is fairly quiet on turnout, I keep with it, but do make sure they're protected with boots when out and wraps if in. Fingers crossed he's back to his usual self quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisma is too much fun! I hope it's just a big splint...not something more serious... thanks for the crossed fingers!

      Delete
  11. ugh any injury or lameness is always tough because they cant tell us where or exactly what! Not to mention the waiting for an answer!!! Fingers crossed for you both that its a positive visit with minimal stress for you and Henry. P.S. dont google!! It ALWAYS makes it worse lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not googling was the hardest for me :S

      Delete
  12. Crossing all crossables for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope everything looks fine on the x-rays! Everything crossed!

    ReplyDelete