_

_

Friday, 22 July 2016

Wheatland Equestrian Centre Fun Show – Recap!

I’m pretty excited to be writing my ever first ever show recap!!! :)



It was quite last minute for Apollo and I to attend this show.  Coach D mentioned it to me a few weeks ago but I was kind of hesitant.  Our mounting block issues have been resolved (I discovered the root of the problem – post to follow) but my own “trust bank” with Apollo was a bit low.  Last week at our Wednesday lesson she talked me into it.  



I decided just to do the trot poles class.  Apollo has never been to a show and I haven’t been in like a million years.  I wanted to have an easy positive first outing together.  Originally I planned to do some of the equitation classes in the afternoon but I woke up with a sore throat and cold on Saturday and decided that I needed to have a short show day.  


Show prep at work the night before!




 
The morning of the show was kind of a nightmare!  The trailer I was borrowing had an entire apartment of boxes inside of it.  The directions to the show (which worked the night before) did not work when we were getting ready to leave.   I got a huge coffee stain on my breeches.  I forgot Apollo’s beard trimmer.   One of my cats peed on my show pad, and I didn’t notice until I arrived at the show.  Coach D was sick and wasn’t going to attend (although she did come after all).  My husband was hauling the trailer for me and was able to keep me fairly sane.  




The people who ran the show were so wonderful and everyone there was so nice.   There were a lot of adorable children on tiny ponies in my trot poles class (they also kicked my ass).  Our first round was trot poles equitation.  I didn’t get to walk the “course” and didn’t know it was posted.  So I watched one pair go and then it was my turn.  Luckily the jumps were numbered and I figured out I needed to go over the blue numbers.  

 


Apollo was so good!  His pilot only sort of knew the route and although he was feeling a bit forward he didn’t break out of the trot.  I could see him look at the pile of haybales, judges table, and spectator window but his feet didn’t step out of line.  I felt like I was quite tense as I rode and definitely stopped breathing.   But nothing major.  We got a lovely 4th place ribbon out of 8ish riders.  I legit almost cried when I got my ribbon.  

Our next class was trot pole match-the-clock.  I was a lot more prepared for this class but I totally turned the wrong way after one jump and it was kind of ugly.  Apollo was very forward and started trying to canter all the poles (trying to add a little excitement to his boring poles class).  I feel like I was less tense and rode better but somehow my first round was a lot straighter/nicer looking.  I thought maybe we would have a chance for a higher ribbon in this class because we would be faster than the slow moving ponies...but no, too fast.  Another 4th place ribbon, which I’m still very proud of!



And then we were done.   I gave Apollo a big hug and took off all his tack and let him graze around the show grounds while we waited for my husband to come back (he was meeting up with a guy to buy us a raft).  People kept coming up to me to tell me how handsome Apollo is and asked about his breed.  Such a nice group of people!

Coach D arrived (missed my rounds sadly) and offered to ride Apollo in the cross rail class for me but I decided to let him be done.  He was a good boy for me and I kind of just wanted to go home and relax.

I'm very proud of my big pony.  I will definitely be better prepared for our next outing and can hopefully avoid a few of my "rookie" prep mistakes. :)


<3!!!


26 comments:

  1. Apollo looks very sharp in that navy saddle pad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried to bleach my white saddle pad and I ruined it hahaha. So that was all I had :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! My pony was very good :)

      Delete
  3. Co gears on the successful show and the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pretty big day for me after being away from showing for so long. :)

      Delete
  4. He looks really good, congrats on the placings :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He was the best pony ever :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great outing! And you had to do it without a trainer no less! Hopefully your next show will be less stressful before hand. You both look fantastic!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got the text that Coach D wasn't going to make it...I had a small panic! But then I gave myself a little pep talk and was able to sort things out :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had an initial rough start to the show - but it sounds like it was well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Definitely a good day :)

      Delete
  7. Aww, so proud of you two! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does sound like a rough start, but I'm glad it ended so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mess for sure! But yes a happy ending :)

      Delete
  9. Yay congratulations on such a positive first outing!! It's super hard to just walk in to a new place without knowing where anything is or where things are posted. But sounds like you made easy work of it!! Yay for some ribbons for the handsome horse too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super positive! Pretty proud of my big steed :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats! I'm so happy you had such a successful first show back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a bit nerve-wracking but I survived!

      Delete
  11. Congrats! Good job on going out and doing it despite the rocky start. Next show should be easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think our next outing will be a lot more calm (I hope anyway!)

      Delete
  12. Ribbons!! You guys look so fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to get some satin! :)

      Delete
  13. Oh wow! Great job! Apollo looks so good. I am glad you got through the rough start and had a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete