_

_

Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Soul Searching

Coach D has been encouraging me to make goals for my horses.  If I have goals we can create a road map.  

And I’ve been struggling with deciding what I want to do.  I have always been interested in eventing and figured that’s where I’d end up.  But honestly even jumping tiny jumps at the eventing 101 clinic… Solid fences kind of freak me out actually.  I thought maybe Henry had potential to be pretty competitive in the eventing world (because he loves water and is sort of athletic…when he wants to be), but now I’m honestly not interested in doing much above the first two levels.  

If I had some specific goals prior to purchasing Mystic and Henry, I would have purchased horses that aligned with those goals.  But I figured I’d try a few things and see what my horses enjoyed…then focus on that.  Which is just the kind of soft mushy plan that leads to nowhere.

After some soul searching, these are the thoughts I have for each horse.

Apollo


I would really like to get him out to some starter level events.  If things continue the way they have been I hope to get him to one in mid-September.   After just getting the bill for Henry’s x-rays…I don’t know if this is realistic.  We will keep working at things and see where everything is at then.  I think doing the majority of the close-ish events next summer at starter level would be a reasonable goal.  

At some point the big pony will require more maintenance joint-wise and I don’t think I can ask him to move up the levels of eventing much.  I will listen to him when he tells me that we’ve reached the limit.  At some point I’d like to transition to more of a dressage and trail focus with him.  





Goals for the next year: Starter level events (this goal is the ground hog day of my life)

Big picture goals:  Eventually I’d like to transition his focus to dressage/trail riding/husband horsing but I’d like to event him as long as he’s having fun/up to the task.




Henry

Now that I have a sound Henry with clean x-rays I feel a bit better about making plans for him.  I have a great body worker on board and will closely monitor if he takes any further off steps (so far so good!).  I’m going to take RK’s advice and try to focus on the hunter ring for Henry.  I contacted a previous instructor, ST, who I really really liked and she’s going to give us lessons on Saturdays starting in September (pending splint setting).  She has quite an extensive background in the hunters (which I kind of forgot about) and is a super positive coach.  I took a few lessons with her on Mystic and I’m excited for her guidance with Henry.  

I’d like to keep up with Henry’s trail riding and obstacle training that RK gave him a wonderful foundation for.  At some point (budget permitting) I’d like to send him up to RK for a month or two for more trail miles.  



Goals for the next year:  Some schooling shows and trail miles.

Big picture goals:  Okay this is a bit out there.  If Henry and I do enjoy the hunters, I would love to save up and head to Thunderbird one day.  I don’t know a lot about the hunters at this point so setting a specific level/height for us is not on my radar yet.




Mystic

Mystic is honestly the easiest horse to ride in my herd.  I love riding her!  She will move forward (unlike H) but she’s not hot (unlike A), she is pretty much perfect. 

But… I do not enjoy jumping her.  Which is really too bad because she is incredibly honest.  I think conformation-wise we are a bad combination for jumping.  I have a very long torso and she has a shorter neck.  I have never felt like I found the correct balance spot when I jump her no matter what I do.  I know that we both need more jumping miles for me to really say this for sure but honestly…I kind of already know in my heart that we aren’t a good jumping team.  

So with that in mind I have decided our focus will be dressage.  I already have fallen in love with a dressage saddle for her (which is 4 times my budget…hoorah).  For some reason when I saw the saddle it clicked that dressage was what we should be doing.  I’m very sad that Coach B lives so far away from where Mystic is currently boarded because I would love to have her help us.  Once I have the saddle situation sorted out (I think this will require a bit of time) we will go hunting for a coach.

Mud monster! She would be so mad if she knew this pic was online haha 

 

Goals for the next year:  Lots of trail miles for sure!  Buy a dressage saddle and find a coach.

Big picture goals: I'd like to do first level with her, and see where we can go from there :)




I am hoping that a trailer will be in the picture soon, and that will help the herd be a bit more mobile to meet our goals :)

30 comments:

  1. Lol, yes I have a few 'groundhog day' goals myself. I think what you have come up with sounds good for each horse. And when you are unsure, just look at more short term - like what would you like to accomplish this month? That way you can still keep moving forward while sorting out the bigger picture.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea, I think occasionally refocusing on short term goals is great way to not get overwhelmed! :)

      Delete
  2. As sad as it makes me that perhaps eventing isn't for you (I love it and I want everyone to love it too) it sounds like you've got some really reasonable goals.

    Sidenote. When you end up going to events with Apollo, let me know. I will come cheer you on/groom if you need some help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like the idea of those teeny tiny log levels of eventing hahaha, those big jumps just honestly are not for me! But I would love that so much!!! I think it will likely be next season for us. That would be so fun!

      Delete
  3. Goals are great! Yay for some of those goals being dressage-related (I'm a bit biased haha). Sounds like your varied plans with each horse will make you into a very well-rounded rider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I end up being well-rounded and not...very confused haha! I do love dressage, excited to pay it a bit more attention :)

      Delete
  4. These are fantastic goals! I like that you want to keep trails in all of their futures too as I think that's great for their minds. Just like us humans, it's important to do things other than the regular work all the time. That said, I'm a huge weenie and my horses have never been out for trail rides... Maybe that should be my goal!
    I'm excited to follow along with your adventures with each of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the love the trails, I get so bored in the arena... but there are more stray dogs and weird bicycles out there.... which does make me nervous too! Hopefully I can find a job that everyone will like :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for goals! Being honest about what you want and your horses is hard but helpful. You might change your mind on some stuff but, you've gotten the hard reality out of the way if you do it right. Good luck, can't wait to read the adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to have a bit of a road map :)

      Delete
  6. Those goals are great!! I cant wait to see some of those come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone finds a job they love! And somehow I have enough time/money to do all the things I want to do :)

      Delete
  7. These sound like great goals. I admire you ability to keep three horses going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely a challenge, but I can't complain! After years of living in lameness purgatory - I'm going to ride as much as I possibly can :)

      Delete
  8. i love how carefully you map each goal to each individual horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an overbearing horse mother hahah XD

      Delete
  9. I think they all sound like reasonable goals. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll see how it all goes :)

      Delete
  10. Great goals! Can't wait to see what adventures come your way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No free time for me to get into trouble anyway ;)

      Delete
  11. Also, meant to mention, I'm sure you know but tbird hosts all kinds of great shows at all different levels,and not just hunter/jumper. I'm aiming for my "big" show to be a dressage one there next year. So, maybe even more options there for you than you might think. (But I think you should come to a starter event out this way too, you'd fit in well with our crew. Lovelaughride is cooler than us though, so I'd take her up on her offer too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so interesting! I honestly had no idea! I thought it was all hunters and jumpers. Good to know! And yes I will be taking her up on that for sure

      Delete
  12. I can barely make goals for 1, I'm really impressed you made 3. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extra tricky! I'm always kind of afraid to make goals because I get really frustrated if things don't go according to "plan"....but we need some kind of direction haha

      Delete
  13. Those sound like really, really good goals for each horse :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm excited to be riding my young horses and getting to work :D

      Delete