_

_

Wednesday, 7 September 2016

First Lesson!

Henry had his first ever lesson on Saturday!  I think ST is a really good fit for us and she has a regular spot carved out in her schedule for us (9am on Saturdays).  I will likely do some lessons with Coach D at some point too – at the moment her schedule is a bit hectic so I don’t know if we could nail down the same time every week.  



If you follow me on instagram you may notice that Henry has pretty much taken over lately.  He is suddenly looking very handsome and grown up, I can’t stop taking pictures/video of him!

After having a month off (in July for the splint) and then only having four rides in August (because I was out of town so much)... Henry and I need work!  Our biggest issues are moving forward and then once we are moving forward...the steering goes.  He will walk out nicely for me in the hay field but in the arena he is so not excited about life.   Sadly in a few months it will be winter, so the indoor arena will be all we’ve got.  



I feel really safe on him, even though it’s a lot more work to keep him going... I don’t feel like he’s going to bolt, rear, buck or do anything silly.  Stopping/slowly crawling along is an annoying evasion but it’s not scary.   He has kind of a big trot and I feel bad because sometimes once I get him trotting I feel very bouncy/tense (so I’m possibly giving some mixed stop/go signals as I try to organize myself).  The trot is where the steering really goes out the window, which is a legit thing to be tense about haha.



Our current skill level is: Walk, trot, occasional steering, walking over tarps and poles, and being excellent on the trail 

Goals for the next six months: W/T/C, trotting over poles and maybe small crossrails, A+ steering

ST had such nice things to say about Henry!  She thinks he has an adorable face and seemed relaxed.  When I first got on a cat ran behind him and he completely shrugged (good baby pony).  She also told me that I didn’t look too big on him (thank you ST <3) and that he would likely grow and fill out quite a bit over the next year or two.  

15.3 and 3/4hh...come on 16hh!



She gave me a dressage whip to use to help us with our forward issue.  The moment he ignored my leg, he got a tap.  He was super respectful of it.  She told us to focus on going forward and making sure that he’s working harder than me.  Once he was going forward the steering was ALOT easier, not perfect but much better.  We even did a round-ish 20m circle in the trot!  Also when he’s tracking up properly in the trot it’s not as bouncy.  

ST told me not to worry about bouncing a bit or losing my balance sometimes; being perfect all the time won’t teach Henry to think for himself.  She thought my seat and equitation looked very good (which was nice to hear!).  



Our homework is FORWARD!  She thinks about after a few rides with the dressage whip we will have it down :) She is away for the next two Saturdays so I have lots of time to work on my “forward” homework.  I’m hoping to wow her when she’s back on September 24th!

27 comments:

  1. The sky in the last picture is so pretty! I am jealous of your flat land lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty darn flat! Would be nice to have a few more hills to build booty/topline :)

      Delete
  2. Henry is looking super grown up and handsome! No wonder you are taking tons of pics of him right now. Glad to hear things are progressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's been a pretty sensible baby horse :)

      Delete
  3. Henry's looking great! Nice to hear things are going well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah things are rolling along pretty nicely with him :)

      Delete
  4. He is looking quite dashing these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dashing is the perfect word! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Looking great! Agree, more forward will a lot of the wiggly steering`(Not that I have experience with this cough*Bridget*cough ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find those "no steering" moments a bit unnnerving hahah, but we will keep at it with our "forward" and hopefully that continues to help. :)

      Delete
  6. Aww the baby is growing up! Sounds like a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is! I'm excited to have a program set up for him now :)

      Delete
  7. He's looking good. It's great you're taking regular lessons with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I think it will put us on the right path :)

      Delete
  8. Henry is very handsome and no you don't look too big on him. Glad you found a trainer you like and look forward to lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we've got a good plan :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great lesson! Henry is looking so handsome! I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a handsome devil! :D I'm enjoying having a plan!

      Delete
  10. He looks so sweet! good luck in lessons with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a heart of gold :) Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great first lesson.

    ReplyDelete