_

_

Monday, 26 September 2016

Notes from the Trail Challenge

I decided to volunteer at a trail challenge on the weekend!  RK (Henry's trainer) was hosting one and I thought I'd help out.

I'm hoping at some point Henry and I can participate (the next one is in the spring).  I will definitely be organizing a trailer if I haven't bought one by then - this trail challenge looked like so much fun!

I was in charge of parking.

Respect the vest.



It was chilly out but the view wasn't bad.




Some of the obstacles were really crazy.  I took a pictures of a few that I want to practice this winter (poor Henry).



You had to walk on a pallet covered with a tarp, in between two giant stuffed dogs (with a nearby row of scarecrows).  Horses were so not cool with this.



It's hard to tell from the photo but there was orange and red tinsel on top of the barrels and also dangling along the fence in a few places!





Bridge with scarecrows hanging on the side and a tarp underneath (with a line of scarecrows randomly in the arena)!




Henry could do this for sure, just a boring plank to stand on.





This was the most weird obstacle to me.  You had to pick up a garbage bag of metal coffee cans and throw it into another barrel.  I am not sure what Henry would think of that!



Cowboy curtain!  Shredded tarp with dangling pool noodles.



Backing up through a course of poles (the poles weren't all set up at this point).



You had to get your horse to kick the ball through the "goal"!



There was another element that involved crossing a metal bridge, crossing the creek, jumping a tiny log, going through a very dense section of bush.  I don't have any photos of that section because it was a bit tight in there, so I didn't walk through it.


But I do have these photos of Henry being an BAMF on the bridge and creek from last spring!



Henry the water horse







This bridge is super scary.  It's metal (very loud) and the horses can see through to the bottom.  One lady's horse spooked so hard they almost fell off the bridge (another horse ran through the creek underneath her when she was crossing).  Pretty scary. Henry was a not a huge fan of this bridge but went across it after RK showed him it was safe.


#rubberbootsforlyfe




Everyone was super nice at the trail challenge.  I'm excited to come back with Henry in the spring!  I overheard someone making a crack about how a warmblood would have a heart attack just looking in the arena (said in good fun)... I so wanted to steal their horse trailer and go pick up my warmblood - who would undoubtedly kick their ass.  But I restrained. :P



The wilderness warmblood is coming for you in the spring trail people!



Friendly reminder to get your "between the ears" pics in for my upcoming giveaway!  See here for details!

Henry had lesson #2 with coach ST on the weekend, details to follow :)

26 comments:

  1. My horses would nope the hell out of there if I threw a bag full of coffee cans! Henry looks like he would be game for any of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that was the one thing where I kind of thought...hmmm... not sure what he would do with that haha!

      Delete
  2. I love watching the ultimate trail challenges. I've always wanted to participate!
    One of the classes I watched last year had a teeter-totter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have huge respect for the horsemanship that goes into it! I hope Henry and I can get lots of practice in this winter :) I don't know what he would think about a teeter-totter either haha :)

      Delete
  3. Was this Saturday in the Eckville area? If so, my mom was a judge :) (And she's had great success doing these competitions on her former Prix St.George/eventer Hanoverian, even qualifying for the Worlds in Texas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it was millarville on Sunday! Do you know what organization runs the eckville ones? I'd be up for doing those too, once I have wheels! That's so awesome about your mom, she has the original wilderness warmblood!:)

      Delete
  4. Those trail challenge obstacles are pretty intense. I'd like to try one of those with Nilla sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! I bet Nilla would be awesome at trail challenges :)

      Delete
  5. There was just a trail challenge near my barn this weekend, too! Definitely something I'd like to try some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Bobby has already worn tinsel, so he'd be ahead of the game :)

      Delete
  6. OMG. I would require new pants for all of that. I love "Wilderness Warmblood"! Can't wait to hear about Henry killing it in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah yeah there were some elements that made me/some of the horses more nervous than others haha. I'm excited to take Henry though, he's strangely good about trail stuff. :)

      Delete
  7. Um so fun! Can't wait to see pics of you rocking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One downside to my fondness for hot horses. They don't do so well with these things... 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! They do move forward without as much finesse as Henry requires though haha, he's a bit of a slow moving guy!

      Delete
  9. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to participate. And, yes, Henry would kick all their butts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Henry is pretty good about weird trail stuff :)

      Delete
  10. I always wanted to do one of these with Isabel bc she would have slayed it. Now I want to try with Charlie just for the exposure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! He might surprise you :)

      Delete
  11. Gah. That bridge does look terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Mostly how loud it is and the echo when horses walk on it (particularly with shoes!)

      Delete
  12. That looks super fun! I think that it would make Leo's brain explode...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garbage bag full of cans would make most horse's brains explode for sure!

      Delete
  13. "Henry the Water Horse" could totally be a viral children's book. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! He is a water nerd haha :)

      Delete