_

_

Friday, 30 September 2016

Possibilities

I have wanted to live on an acreage since I was seven years old.  I took my first ever riding lesson that year.  

Eventually my parents bought Deputy - a senior citizen Quarter Horse X Arab.   I rode him in riding lessons/summer camps, my dad took him cattle penning, my mom took lessons on him and my brother occasionally trail rode him.  I so desperately wanted Deputy to live in my backyard (so I could feed him carrots out of my bedroom window….for some reason).


Me stylin' and profilin' in 1992-ish





When I was 12 years old my parents re-located for work.   In our new city we looked at a few acreages.  Nothing fit the bill.  Over my teen years they would still look at one here and there.  Probably more than they told me (because they didn’t want to get my hopes up/I was incredibly annoying about it).

The time came to buy my own place.  I was 22 years old and settled for a little condo close to my work that would allow me to get a dog. 

I had started thinking about acreages again when I knew I was dating the man I would marry.  I allowed myself to add to my herd (hello Henry and Mystic!) because I hoped an acreage would be in our 3-5 year plan.  I worked part-time jobs to afford them, dreaming that one day they’d be in my backyard.  We got married and included our weird equine family members in the photos.

I did not even try to hide my crazy.



Then the economy started to go downhill.  My husband’s job was uncertain.  After a year of waffling he took a new position at a company that sounded more long term.  He was laid off after two weeks (so no severance pay…hurrah).  He was out of work for 8 months.  It was a stressful time for both of us and I started to feel like we’d live in the condo forever.  My acreage felt very far away.

A few months ago my husband got a new job.  He thought we should chat with a mortgage broker about buying a house.  To be honest, thinking about a bigger mortgage and the stress of selling/moving gave me anxiety.  But I agreed to get some information.     

I found out yesterday that we're approved for enough money to buy a modest acreage.  And the monthly cost will be pretty comparable to my current mortgage+condo fees+horse board payments.

So…

Late this winter or early in the spring, my condo will be listed for sale.  And my husband and I will begin shopping for an acreage once it sells.  I’m trying to not get too carried away with excitement, as our acreage budget is truly quite meager compared to what exists in the market.  But I am hopeful! 


Hope to see these faces in my own backyard in 2017:)



I know it's probably bad luck to talk about these things before they happen...but 7 year old me can't shut up.




41 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for you! It is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited! But am trying to be a calm and rational adult...the struggle is real! :P

      Delete
  2. Once you have more than one horse, board costs + living costs is usually comparable to a mortgage on a place with acreage (at least where I am, obviously YMMV haha). Shopping for property is so fun! Hopefully you find the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope we can find the perfect place! (and it's in budget) I'm hoping to share some of the shopping journey on the blog once we're there :)

      Delete
  3. So much yay!!! I really hope it works out for you! Living on an acreage with my horses (because if there is an acreage, the number of horses will definitely become a plural!) has been a long time dream of mine as well. Luckily I have a SO who's also on board with the plan, but financially it will still be several years until we get there. Doesn't stop me from browsing acreage listings and living vicariously through other people though! Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been an acreage listing stalker for years too! I will have good tips to share after I go through the experience I'm sure :)

      Delete
  4. So exciting! I'm positive something great will come along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small word of warning: when you get acerage you will spend all your free time taking care of/mowing/re-seeding/fertilizing said acerage. I ride less now than I ever have since moving to my own place...wouldn't change having my horses right outside my window though :). Best of luck with your property shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You guys are scaring me hahah! I worked at a barn for 5 years, an older barn that sometimes had water issues. So I sort of got a small taste of acreage life. I am ok with riding a bit less if I can see my neigh neighs out my window :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! I've got my fingers crossed. There are days I miss boarding (feeding at -30, watering all bloody winter, the day the truck wont start to get me to my lesson), but standing at my kitchen window and watching the ponies makes it all worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the crossed fingers! It is nice to share some of the responsibilities, especially in the winter... brrr :)

      Delete
  7. eeee so excited for you! good luck and make those dreams come true :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting!! Good luck with the hunt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really looking forward to it :)

      Delete
  9. How exciting! I'm sure it will all work out and you'll be feeding carrots out your bedroom window soon. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wedding photo is awesome! This is super exciting, I really hope you find something great!!! Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the right place shows up at the right time for us :D

      Delete
  11. Oh, this is very exciting! Try to keep 7 year old you calm so you take your time and find what you want. It's such a crazy process, but it's so exciting! I hope your condo sells quickly for what you want for it and you find the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best to keep 7 year old me calm! I'm trying to take it one step at a time... it will be hard once I actually get to look at properties haha :)

      Delete
  12. Dream big girl! It is amazing what you can make happen by just diving in and making it work! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am super duper excited :D

      Delete
  14. This is so exciting!!!!!! And your wedding picture made me laugh out loud. Oh, and feeding horses carrots out your window sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY!!! I bought my farm about 8 years ago, and never looked back. Having your own place is challenging and it changes the way you interact with the horses and even the way you ride, but it's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a huge change for sure! I am so ready to be done with boarding and do things my own way :)

      Delete
  16. Yay! You're living my dream too. I'm probably going to be buying horse property in an another year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It might take me a long time to find the perfect spot, so we might be shopping at the same time haha :)

      Delete
  17. I love having horses at home. Restricts one's ability to run off to Paris for the weekend, but the trade-off is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I hate travelling hahah :P

      Delete
  18. SO EXCITING. I've wanted my horses at home as long as I can remember. I don't know that it will ever happen though. I can have them close, but not in the back yard with how things are going... I think I'm okay with that, but I know I'll forever dream. Fingers crossed for a quick sale and the perfect property for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if we'll find the right place, I sure hope so though! Fingers crossed for you too, you never know :)

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if we'll find the right place, I sure hope so though! Fingers crossed for you too, you never know :)

      Delete