_

_

Thursday, 27 October 2016

A Different Kind of Saddle

Thank you everyone for your kind words on my post yesterday... I am feeling a bit better about things... I hope to have a happy ride report about Mystic soon. <3

Now for something totally different!

I have to confess - I sort of hate exercise.  One of my best friends and I have been trying to be more active lately.  We decided to try a spin class about three weeks ago.

And I freaking loved it.

It's incredibly hard and I sweat a lot (and I actually hate sweating).  But with the amazing beats and fun lighting/disco balls I actually found myself enjoying exercise.  Since that first class I've been hooked!

My spin studio <3



I've noticed a few fringe benefits in my riding too!  My legs are feeling a lot stronger in the saddle.  And my cardiovascular health has improved too (I'm less out of breath riding Henry).  I also ran a 5k last weekend, even with my incredibly sporadic running training, felt easier than it ever had.


Random pinterest horse bike #1



I also have learned how to push myself when things start to get uncomfortable (which is always the moment I quit - in exercise/riding/life).  This sounds crazy but something about spin class has made me feel stronger and braver in other areas of my life.


I actually asked Coach D if we could jump last week during my lesson on Mighty Mare.  Usually she coerces me into doing a few small fences, but I never request jumping.  MM has a gigantic jump, even over tiny jumps and it scares the crap out of me.  I usually do dressage stuff when I ride her.  But I decided that even though I was nervous - I would be fine.  And it was probably my best lesson ever.  Coach D said she had never seen me ride better.


Random pinterest horse bike #2




Since spinning has helped me so much with my riding I have to recommend that other equestrians hop into the spinning saddle too! :)

Has anyone else tried spinning?  Did you love it as much as I do? 


Also... reminder!  My BTE contest closes Friday at midnight - get your guesses in here!

19 comments:

  1. I walked by a spinning class on my way to yoga one time...thought I was going to pass out just from watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for sure, for my first couple of classes I didn't touch the resistance... so that was a good way to ease into it :P

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Maybe cycling would be something I should check out. I hate the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! It's seriously super fun :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't done spinning, but I love swimming. Exercising is all about finding something that is fun for you. It's a lot easier to do if you look forward to it.
    I'm super excited about the BTE contest although I'm pretty sure I did terrible despite all the effort I put into my guesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love swimming too! The only things that holds me back is that I constantly color my hair and pools like to ruin it :( I haven't checked your answers yet but I'm sure you did just fine ;)

      Delete
  4. I've actually been curious about spinning! I know a lot of people that really seem to love it. I may have to hunt down a gym that has it and give it a try one of these days. Also, now I want a horse bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a whirl, it's so fun! Also a horse bike is mandatory. A different one every day that matches your outfit :P

      Delete
  5. I want to try spin but am intimidated. I just googled though, and it looks like it's included in my gym pass, so I might have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you definitely have to! The first time is a bit weird (just getting used to the bike and the flow of class) but you won't regret it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Spin is the only thing that can get me into the gym, but it has to be the right instructor. I can't stand the super cheesy ones. I want mean, aggressive, pushy instructors and no nonsense. I've done it on and off (more off lately, because I let my gym membership lapse since I started running again and the weather has been nice enough to ride a real bike) for the past 4 years. It's fun though, and really beneficial for riding if you do it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! For me the music is pretty important too, I took a class yesterday and they played grunge music... I like that music but it didn't really suit the pace of the cycling. I definitely have seen some improvements in my riding after only 3 weeks :)

      Delete
  7. Cool! I did spin classes for a bit & while they were tough I certainly felt great for doing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tough! But a good sort of tough ;)

      Delete
  8. I've done spin in the past, but my current gym doesn't do dark spin. I don't like doing it in the light because I can't always keep up (I have asthma) and I like being able to slow down and catch my breath in the dark without people staring at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spin place does it by candlelight (and then add in the disco ball and other lighting settings), I would NOT want to do it in the light! I hope your gym changes to dark spin, I am usually off tempo and the dark hides that a bit haha.

      Delete
  9. I LOOOOOVE Spinning! It's my "gateway drug" to getting into the gym. ;) If I'm having a blah day of not feeling like working out, I just go Spin. It is a cardio workout that focuses on legs but it also does amazing things for your core strength. As you already discovered, it's the cardio workout that makes the biggest difference in my riding! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! It really picks me up and gets me moving when I'm having a blah day :) I'm sure my ponies appreciate a stronger happier pilot too haha!

      Delete
  10. I do it a couple times a week and I hate it with a fiery burning passion. I mean, I really like that it works my legs so well, but that whole falling to the ground in a heap afterwards I could do without!

    ReplyDelete