_

_

Sunday, 30 October 2016

Henry Lesson #4

I’m happy to report that Henry and I finally had another lesson last Saturday!  I hadn't been able to lesson the previous two weekends (one because of scheduling and one because I was sick). 



Henry loves "jumping"



I told ST that I feel like we are ready to canter soon.  Henry didn’t do a ton of canter work with RK, but I honestly don’t think he’ll be silly about it.  I suspect it will be a fair of work to get him/keep him cantering.  ST suggested I do some canter work on the lunge line with him and we will hopefully try for a canter next lesson.  

We mainly worked on going forward (ongoing life theme for Henry), precision/timing of my aids and transitions.  We trotted for almost the whole lesson. 



Tired pony





ST worked us pretty hard!  Henry doesn’t usually get super sweaty but he was drenched!

Our homework is as follows:

1)      WTC on the lunge line 
2)      Forward forward forward
3)      No more halting allowed when Kate needs a break, we must walk.  Forward.  ST recommended that I not stop him at all until I’m ready to get off.

I feel like my spin classes really saved my butt in this lesson.  My legs weren’t as tired and I wasn’t as out of breath as I usually feel when I ride Henry (he is also doing more of the work than me now, but it’s still a lot more work for me than my other two).  


Henry and I are currently working on finding him a saddle that fits better.  The one I’m using isn’t causing pain (confirmed by a saddle fitter and his chiro/massage people) but it’s not great.  For a while it seemed to fit pretty well but with this latest growth spurt …. It’s not as good as I would like.  I am hoping to try the following saddle soon:




Equipe Expression 

*grabby hands*  I am creepily in love with this saddle.




Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Equipe?  I will have a saddle fitter to assist me (she might be able to make some minor tweaks also if needed).  She also will bring some other used options for me to try out.



20 comments:

  1. Never heard of the Equipe saddle but then again I haven't been in the market for one for years. All of ours work.

    I'm sure you and Henry will do just fine at the canter. The important thing is to remember to relax, breath, and set him up for it properly and things will go smoothly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty, sadly it doesn't fit :(

      Delete
  2. A friend has an Equipe that she adores and still looks brand new after 3 years (and she does ride a lot). I've ridden in it a couple times and quite liked it. It's also very aesthetically pleasing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad to hear a good review :)

      Delete
  3. Good lessons just make us so happy, don't they? I bet his canter is going to be a treat! And I've not heard of the saddle but that doesn't mean anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! I hope his canter is easier to sit than his trot haha

      Delete
  4. Wow that is a nice saddle! Never ridden in an Equipe myself but I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great (yet exhausting) lesson! Good luck saddle shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty saddle! Sounds like a really productive lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay exciting you may be cantering him soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's easier to sit than his trot haha :D

      Delete
  8. I don't do a lot of stopping with Miles either because that's what he WANTS! We march forward, always. Even from the ground, he needs to not be lethargically walking next to me... or behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-forward horses are way more work, but I feel a lot safer for some reason haha!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I like that saddle too! Never heard of Equipe though. Good luck with canter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the saddle is pretty! haven't heard of the brand, but it looks like its nicer quality! Fingers crossed you find a fit that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sadly didn't fit but I am an equipe fan now I think! :)

      Delete