_

_

Thursday, 6 October 2016

Kerrits Fullseat Cross Over Breeches Review

Alternate title: Annoyed Giant

I recently decided that I was due for a new pair of schooling breeches.  Pretty much everything that I currently ride in:  

1) Doesn’t fit properly (some too large, many too small)  
2) Is in need of repair

So after I saw an ad up at a local shop for 30% off Kerrits breeches, I decided to give them a whirl.  I chose the fullseat crossovers because I liked the look of them.  I prefer to ride in a fullseat because my Verhan saddle is a bit hard, so any extra padding is appreciated.




According to the size chart I could have probably gotten the small (I usually wear 28L breeches, and wear a size 4/6 in most clothes) but I decided to go with the medium, as they are a 31 inch inseam vs. 30 inseam on the small.  I also sized up a bit because I really wanted them to be comfy.  I have quite a few pairs that I can physically squeeze on but are not comfortable because they are tight/fit weird. 


Size chart for reference:





***So I have to insert a bit of a disclaimer here.  I was given a few pairs of Pikeur breeches from a dressage barn I worked at.  I also bought a few pairs for a very discounted price from the same dressage barn.  And I really really like them.  And they are really nice quality.   Quality that is obvious a bit unfair to compare Kerrits to.  I tried not to, but I’m sure I did.  I am also a 6 foot tall giant human.  Things just don’t fit me properly because I am so damn long.  So keep that in mind as you read my somewhat grumpy review.***


Info on the breeches as per the Kerrits Website:  Apparently the breeches are stain resistant, machine washable and provide "no show" coverage.  Read more here.

Cost: $179.99 Canadian (There was a sale so I paid about $132.00)

Initial Impression on Appearance:  The color looked a bit different online but I did like it.  I picked "Indigo" (the color of the ones at the top of the post, real pics below).  I liked the look of the front (zipper/pockets, beltloops).  I didn’t like the look of the full seat at all.  The material on the full seat section looked and felt incredibly cheap and plastic-y.  The stitching on some sections weren’t the best.  I did like the look of the sock bottoms.  I haven’t owned breeches with sock bottoms before and I was pretty stoked to not have Velcro indents on my calves anymore (when you are a giant the Velcro bit is on your calves, not your ankle).



Here are the horrible pics I took of them laying like a turd on my messy half-made/laundry filled bed...





"Synthetic Microsuede"




Initial Impression on Fit: This is where I got super bummed out.  The legs were incredibly tight.  I could barely get them over my kneecaps.  I wear a slim calf tall boots and don’t have abnormally large kneecaps… so this was odd.  The length was actually pretty good on me, they actually reached my ankles.  The waist/hips fit ok, maybe a bit big.  They were not comfortable at all.  Once I got them on they were better but still incredibly tight around my knee caps.  I could barely bend my knees.   My bum looked nice but I thank my mother, not Kerrits for that.  They otherwise generally not flattering.
 
Impressions in the Saddle:  Sigh.  They eventually did stretch slightly.  But still not a good fit.  Not comfortable and got very bunched up around my suffocating kneecaps.


Final Thoughts:  Looks I have another pair of breeches to throw into my “Don’t Fit Properly” pile.  I am very disappointed and won’t be purchasing from Kerrits again.  I feel like going by their size guide (I wear a size 4 or 6 in pants, 28L in most breeches and a slim calf tall boot)… I should be comfortable in a medium.  Instead my legs were being choked to death. 


Future Plans:  Harvesting non-vital organs to purchase more Pikeur breeches.

*late edit: I sold these online quite quickly...so that's good*

21 comments:

  1. Bummer! But at least you were able to sell them quickly, that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's a bonus! The girl who bought them was 5'3 and apparently they fit her perfectly! :)

      Delete
  2. Argh! I have these too, I can't even ride in them without being distracted by how much they bind/gap/fit weirdly...glad it wasn't just me and that you were able to sell them fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do suck! I wanted to like them but the fit is too weird. :(

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize that the bottom was actually supposed to be at your ankle on breeches for the longest time... #giantproblems

    I feel the same about their full seats. I had to go up to a 1x which hurt a lot. Granted I'm built more like a quarter horse than a TB but I'm not that big. Also the pair I got (not this model) had the entire seam down the butt pull apart in under a year with maybe once a week rides. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's where they're supposed to be anyhow haha! Not for us giants! :P
      Sorry to hear you had an equally bad experience (worse I guess, if they wore out within a year). I don't think Kerrits will be getting my business in future for sure.

      Delete
  4. Sorry they didn't work out for you. Breeches are so hard to find a good fit for, it's like jeans, not every brand or style is going to fit right no matter what size you try. I consistently get tempted to order breeches online (esp. fancy ones reviewed by various bloggers), but I have resigned myself to never buying breeches unless I can physically try them on first.

    Also, giants aren't the only ones prone to the velcro calf imprints, hobbits like me sometimes get that too when we have to roll up the bottom of the legs ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's the route I'm going to take from now on (only buying what I can try on). I got a few cheap pairs from the tack collector, which are pretty great. That sucks that you have the same imprints, hobbit/giant life is tough! :P

      Delete
  5. I can't stand Kerrits ><; The one pair I have is a pair of winter tights. I wear a size 24R and the size small was way too big on me. I used the tights for one winter season and in that season they stretched out, the fabric pilled, they developed a hole, and the knee patch suede started wearing through. These were $100 too. I refuse to buy from them anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm super disappointed. I had two Kerrits jackets before (barn jackets for the barn I worked at) and one was really nice. I wont' be buying their breeches ever again for sure!

      Delete
  6. Oh no! The knee patch version of these breeches is actually my total favorite, I have three of them! Funny how that happens. So glad you were able to sell them quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the knee patch ones would have fit me better. Full seats do seem to be tighter in the legs! Yeah I'm happy they worked well for someone else, they were not going to be used again by me haha :)

      Delete
  7. I laughed out loud at the comment about thanking your mother for your butt looking good. Now my coworkers are looking at me funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a pair of the knee patch version recently, and I was humming and hawing about what size to get. I think I'm somewhere in between small and medium. I went with small and they were pretty tiny but were stretchy enough that they fit pretty well. Since I'm your opposite and am quite short, they work ok for me, but also not my favorite breeches. I got the Jasper color which is like a mossy green, and I do love the color.
    You should try the Annie's breeches. They are on the longer side, and also come in long length, which I bet would fit you well. They're so soft it's crazy. I've not tried the full seat, but the knee patches are a nice material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really want a pair of purple Annie's breeches, maybe I will treat myself for my bday :) Glad to hear you had a better experience with Kerrits, they clearly do not like giants haha

      Delete
  9. I have these same breeches. I'm about the same size as you (5'11", size 4-6, wear a 28L). I went with the small because the mediums were just a bit loose in the hips. I noticed that the knees in the small and the medium fit the same, which is just weird. They are very flattering on, but I agree about the fabric they use for the full seat. It definitely could be better. I loved these breeches at first, then the seam around the full seat really started to bug me. With just a few minor adjustments, these could be really attractive and comfortable breeches for the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Romfh? The 28L fits me perfectly and I've been able to find really good deals on them online, a couple of pairs ended up being even cheaper than the Kerrits when they were on sale.

      Delete
    2. We are breeches soulmates haha! I had one pair of romfhs that fit weird (an older style) but I love the new pairs so much! So flattering :D I'll have to hunt for some used pairs/sales.

      Delete
  10. I have a bunch of Kerrits tights and I really like them. I'm tall too and one of the things I like about the Kerrits tights is that they're pretty long. But I tried the crossovers and they were wildly uncomfortable. I just returned them. So I wouldn't rule out Kerrits forever, just that specific model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! They are at a reasonable price point for sure and I like the look of them, maybe I'll try some tights one day :)

      Delete