_

_

Thursday, 10 November 2016

Unhappy Trails - Update

I have been so busy lately, things have even been completely nuts at my usually lazy part-time receptionist job.  Which is super annoying as that's where I do most of my blog reading/writing.  How dare they ask me to work at work.

So I have lots to catch up on (ie. Henry lessons, October goals, saddle shopping etc) but for now I wanted to give an update on Mystic after our scary trail ride mentioned here.  It affected me more than I thought it would.  I cried a fair bit on the day it happened.  But I thought I would wake up the next morning with resolve to go out and ride her again and sort out our issues.  I did not.   


Eventually I was able to focus my energy on this being a saddle problem and I finally ordered some very cute western saddle pads for her new western saddle and did some cinch shopping.  I decided that she’s been sort of rude the last couple of times that I rode her in the Verhan, not anything compared to the trail ride from hell, but a bit impatient and unwilling to stand.  I’ve only ridden her in the Verhan about three times in the last three months.  In contrast she’s been a saint when I ride her bareback or in her other English saddle.




I had sold her other English saddle because I wasn’t loving the fit but the woman who bought it decided it didn’t fit her horse right and I’m actually going to buy it back.  It fits Mystic better than the Verhan and is a good plan B if I want to jump something tiny or am tired of hauling a giant western saddle around.

Focusing on the saddle made me feel less scared and gave me productive things to do (spend monies).  



Check out the rad acorn design on Mystic's new saddle #saddlesfornuts



As I mentioned in my previous post, Mystic was due for a trim (not that trimmed hooves prevent you from bolting into traffic…but it can’t hurt).   My friend, C, held her for the trim as unfortunately I was working.  The trimmer, J, is a different one than I usually use.  I wasn’t really happy with the balance of her hooves after the last trim so I decided to try a different trimmer.  Again, not that unbalanced hooves make you bolt into traffic but I could see that feeling unbalanced would make a horse more uneasy.  

I texted C after the appointment to see how it went and to make sure Mystic was a good girl for her.  She said that yes Mystic was a good girl….but had I heard from J yet?  J was going to call me.

Ummm… what? Why?  Is my mare foundering?  Did her coffin bone break through her hoof wall?  Does she have an abscess?  BLAH BLAH BLAH crazy brain takes over rational brain.

I didn’t hear from J so I asked C to tell me what was up….

Mystic’s right hip was significantly out.  I guess if you stood behind her you could easily see that one hip was lower than the other.  She had trouble picking up her hooves on the right side and so J started looking at her body to find the culprit.  So pony needed some major chiro love.

I think this is a big part of what went wrong for us.  So friendly reminder to all of us (but mostly me) - when your normally good horse goes bad – check for pain and body issues.  




Hope to be enjoying this view soon :)





I had a wonderful bodyworker/chiro out on Monday.  He found a lot of things out of whack (her hips being the worst).  He suspects that she had quite a bad slip in the mud.  I noticed her expression changed a lot as he worked on her.  She had sort of a sad/worried look in her eye at the beginning of the appointment and by the end she looked bright and happy.



My first ride back is planned for tomorrow!  Wish me luck J

26 comments:

  1. Good luck! Working to address or rule out any physical issues sounds like it was a good idea. At best, Mystic will be feeling a lot better and happier, at worst, at least you'll have less things to worry about when you swing your leg back over. I hope you have some good rides and can make some deposits back into that ever important trust bank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It went great :) Some deposits into the trust bank were made for sure!

      Delete
  2. I love watching a good chiro/bodywork session where you can see the horse getting happier/more comfortable right in front of your eyes! Fingers crossed your ride tomorrow goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool! The chiro guy was really affordable too, so I'll be using him again for sure.

      Delete
  3. A good little western saddle can be very confidence building - always good to have one in your wheelhouse :D Hope Mystic is feeling back to 100% after her chiro - and you have a great ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed that your ride goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good the new trimmer noticed her hip. It could definitely be the reason for the bolt if she was in pain. Good luck next tide it's her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm very grateful the trimmer noticed that! Sure helped us get her back on track :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, I can't believe your trimmer discovered that! I hope the body work fixes her right up. It makes sense if she was hurting she might feel like she needed to run away. Hopefully your problem is cured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Thank goodness, I am blind apparently haha! She is pretty much cured ;)

      Delete
  7. Hopefully that clears thing up for you guys and you get back out there without any further trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped a lot! I think my girl is back to normal :)

      Delete
  8. Poor girl! Enjoy your next outing, I'm sure it's going to be super!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I hope it all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad she's all sorted out now. Looking forward to hearing about all. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too! She is much better :)

      Delete
  11. I'm glad that this was sorted out! Good that you got the Chiro out. Keep us posted on how it goes. It is understandable that you might not want to ride again after that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the chiro was just the ticket! I was really in shock for a long time, that behavior is not like her at all.

      Delete
  12. Good luck good luck good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you!! :D It went well!

      Delete
  13. Glad you found the issue and it sounds like a relatively "easy" fix! Hopefully soon you'll be back to enjoying your faithful go-everywhere girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah totally, I'm almost happy that something physical was off with her as if this was a new mental/behaviour change... I don't think think I could manage that myself! :O!

      Delete