_

_

Saturday, 7 January 2017

Rearview on 2016

2016 was the weirdest year of my life.  I had wonderful highs (riding my baby horses and improving my skills/confidence with Coach D) and some pretty shitty lows (having an unemployed husband for 8 months and struggling with stress/PPD stuff). 






I'm actually really proud of myself for what I accomplished in 2016. I didn't tick off all of my goals but I was a lot more brave about trying new things and more adaptable when things didn't go exactly as I planned.



My 2016 horse goals were somewhat limited by budget and lack of a horse trailer.  But through some ingenuity (and selling almost everything I own) I was able to pay for both of my baby horse’s training and some lessons for myself.  




Here's how I did on my goals:


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Horse Goals





Take a horse swimming!  Nope. I had a tentative plan to take Henry (who would freakin love to swim) but then he got the mystery leg bump and so I had to cancel.

Ride with no tack (only a neck rope)! Yes!  Apollo and I did this before he went through his bolting at the mounting block phase in the summer.

Compete in as many starter level events as possible. Nope.

Compete in a dressage schooling show.  Nope.

Compete in a competitive trail event.  Nope.

*Apollo did go to a showing show, so I award one bonus point* 

Find a better situation for Henry. I don’t know if it’s a better situation or not but homeboy is stuck with me.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kate Goals





Run a 10k race  I ran two 5ks –does that count?

Achieve magical weight Nope again.  Although I’m finally feeling like I’m on track with a better fitness and exercise routine (plus spin classes made my life).

Read more  Yes!  I definitely read more this year.  Currently reading “The Gold Finch” and would recommend it if anyone is looking for some non-horse related reading material.

Walk dogs more  Yep, the dogs had a pretty good 2016 for walking (up until recently when it's been -30)

Be more patient  Yes.  I will give myself a bit pat on the back for this because my patience has improved tremendously this last year.  

Focus on self-care  Yep! I'm really glad I actually learned to relax a bit more this year and took better care of myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Now on to 2017!  I have some big things planned :) 





28 comments:

  1. "Walk dogs more" is a great goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs liked that goal I think :P

      Delete
  2. 2 x 5km races definitely counts as as a 10km.
    Sounds like you accomplished a lot to be proud of in 2016 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in 2017 I will run 10k at one time haha. I am honestly really proud of my 2016. :)

      Delete
  3. Those two races definitely count as a goal accomplished. All in all you have more in the plus column than the minus. So give yourself a pat on the back and take a deep breath and get ready for 2017! It's going to be a great year for you and your critters and hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am looking forward to an excellent 2017!

      Delete
  4. It was a good year for you- I've admired how you have dealt with all the tests (equine and others) even though I don't know details I could glean enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 It was probably my toughest year but there were some amazing moments in there that made it all worth it.

      Delete
  5. Hey Kate!! Def a good idea to focus on you first. Nothing else will fall into place without that. Wishing you all the best in 2017!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I feel like I finally learned that this last year. Happy new year, wishing you an awesome 2017 too! :)

      Delete
  6. Ah patience, would love to have a bit more of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still a lot of room for improvement for me too haha :P

      Delete
  7. I think for most females magical weight always equals -5 lbs ;) So at least for me, I never reach that target. I think the best you can hope for on that front is what you said - that you're happy with your fitness and exercise routine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I get really stuck on the numbers sometimes and I'm trying to re-focus on how I feel (as long as my clothes mostly fit haha). :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a very productive year despite the downs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely got a lot accomplished, more than I thought I would at the start :)

      Delete
  9. Wishing you the best 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping 2017 is all you hoped for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite the challenges, you really did accomplish so much in a year! Especially with your baby horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big year! I won the baby brain lottery with those two :)

      Delete
  12. Definitely give yourself a big pat on the back for all you accomplished this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got a lot of pieces in place to set you up for a great 2017! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! 2017 is gonna be a big one! :)

      Delete
  14. Your comment on my blog reminded me I wanted to comment on yours! :) I have especially loved following you this year, both on IG and here, because you have changed so much! I know you faced some big challenges and some things didn't quite go as planned, but you achieved *so much*! All I saw was progress this year for you. <3

    And yes, two 5ks definitely count for one 10k! ;)

    I hope 2017 is AWESOME for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! <3 It was a very tough year, but I am so so happy to have survived and thrived with some new experiences and skills under my belt. :)

      Delete