_

_

Friday, 20 January 2017

Robaxacet & Riding

For the past two months I’ve had increasing back pain/crookedness.   I have scoliosis between my shoulders, which makes me want to collapse on my right side and gives me shoulder pain.  But this was a whole new creature.  I started having mid-back spasms and sharp pains in my right lower back that were shooting into my hip.

For the last month if I take a robaxacet before I ride, I feel pretty good.  More relaxed than normal even.  But I pay for it the next day. 





It’s been a very cold winter and I think that’s been a major contributor.  I spend a fair bit of $$ for massage and chiro for horses, now I’ve decided to invest in some massage/chiro/osteopathy for myself.  It’s probably hard to be a straight horse with a crooked rider anyhow. 


<3 X 1 million




I had a consult with a new chiropractor on last Saturday morning.  They do a whole bunch of xrays and imaging to get a baseline.  They total up all the degrees you are crooked into a special score.  The ratings for crookedness are as follows:


1-5 Very minor issues
6-10 Minor issues
11-15 Moderate issues
15+ Severe issues


Kate’s score: 21.5 K



I have a severe twist in my pelvis, in addition to being completely out of whack in the shoulder area.  My head also sits too far forward.  I’m just generally a mess.  I had a two hour x-ray guided appointment on Wednesday, and they have promised the first treatment will improve my “score” by 80%. 



Out of noms.  Please assist.




I kind of feel bad for the horses!  They've been carting my severely crooked ass around for the past few months.  I hope that with some regular chiro (and my massage and osteopathy appts are booked for later in the month) that I will be feeling 100% soon.  I’ve noticed my energy level has been in the toilet lately.  But I kind of wrote that off to the fact that I work so much, but I think being constantly in pain/crooked all day probably contributed too.


I gave all three horses some time off this week to let my adjustment set.  And Apollo and Henry had their teeth floated so they probably appreciated that anyhow.  


Does anyone else do any bodywork on themselves?  I’ve signed up for a yoga class so I hope that will help too. 


26 comments:

  1. I used to get chiro work done but haven't been worked on in some time now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good sign, you aren't in pain! :) I hope my new chiro is able to help.

      Delete
  2. I get Chiro and my Chiro appt includes a massage. Keeping a heating pad on my back as much as possible helps the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I do a lot of driving and I think a heating pad would help me a lot :)

      Delete
  3. Ouch, hope your treatment helps!
    I like relaxing massages to help me let go of muscle tensions.... I don't get them often enough though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Yeah I need to spend a little more time/money on bodywork for myself (not just the horses!)

      Delete
  4. I hope that you feel better soon. I've been to a chiro off and on pretty much my whole life. I got kind of tired of having to go though and so quit getting treatments for the time being. Yoga has been amazing for my back and neck! I hope that it helps you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm already feeling a bit better, hoping with a few more treatments I will be 100%! I really don't want to have to go to the chiro every week (for $$ and time reasons) so I hope I can get sorted out and then go back next year or something.

      Delete
  5. I'm terrified of chiro (my own issues not knocking the profession). But I do love physical therapy. Yoga is also really good but listen to your body. I have terrible hips and I can't do the majority of yoga hip stretches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the neck cracking ones! My new chiro is a bit different, and not like the typical chiros I've been to before (which didn't have any longer term affects). Yoga is so good...but so very hard. I am so not flexible!

      Delete
  6. I go to a massage therapist fairly regularly- I have really tight Psoas muscles and she really helps with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask about mine, I read an article about the psoas muscles a while and how it relates to riding!

      Delete
  7. I regularly see a chiro and after my adjustments he has an electric massage table I spend time on. I'm interested in trying more regular massage, because I'm a very tense person in general, but the trouble is finding somewhere out in BFE where I live that's convenient to go to as well as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm tense too, just by nature! An electric massage table? Sounds pretty neat!

      Delete
  8. Dang! That's some tough stuff! I've never needed much chiropractic work done but the physical therapy I've done recently for my knee has been wonderful- I understand the back is quite a different beast but hopefully you'll see some good results from the yoga!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might add PT to the mix if chiro doesn't sort me out! I was supposed to have it after my car accident and I never did...bad me. I hope yoga helps too :)

      Delete
  9. I'm not crazy about chiropractors and have never been to one. But I've done physical therapy for my knee and neck. A professional physical therapist who is recommended by an orthopedist might be the best way to go along with the massage. My daughter also tried a professional acupuncturist who worked wonders for her back. Good luck there's nothing worse than being in pain all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT is my plan B! I didn't think of acupuncture, might have to try that too :)

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear this!! Hoping the treatment works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks me too! Seeing some improvement already :)

      Delete
  11. I need to schedule a massage... but instead Miles got to see the chiropractor. #Spoiled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what keeps happening to me XD

      Delete
  12. My horses take all the money for body work. But when I vacation with the family, my dad takes us all to the spa for massages (he's the best). I hope they get you patched up quickly! Probably all that bareback riding isn't helping things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I luckily was able to adjust some of my funds for my health spending account for work this year. Your dad sounds awesome!! I'm not sure if bareback riding helps or hinders, it hurts less when I'm doing it...but maybe that just means my body isn't confined by a saddle so can be as crooked as it wants... who knows :P

      Delete
  13. As of late last year, I'm now getting regular chiro and acupuncture. Massage therapy as needed. The acu is covered by my insurance and I did it on a whim last year not expecting to notice anything afterward... A scientist by day to pay the bills, I was admittedly skeptical about both mediums, but I cannot deny how much better I felt following. Chiro is something I've been getting for about 3 years now, and the acupuncture took things to a whole new level. Nothing else at that time can correlate to triggering the change, so acupuncture takes the cake. If you can get it in your area, pursue it! Go at least twice and then see how you feel in the month after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to give acupuncture a whirl. I went once years ago and had good results, just didn't follow up as I had maxed out my spending account at that point. Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete