_

_

Wednesday, 22 February 2017

MOAR CANTER (Henry Lesson #9)

After lesson #8 Henry and I had two very short rides.  I didn’t canter in either of them but worked on getting a more forward trot.  Since I didn’t have a ton of time to ride I didn’t want to start fiddling with the canter.  I was also alone at the barn for both rides and I felt like cantering wasn’t a super safe idea.  Also my phone hasn't been working properly so I've been playing things a little extra safe (although new phone arrived today so yay for proper media soon!).



They are legit friends now, so weird



I’ve been scrambling to complete some courses for my yearly certifications at work and it’s kind of taking over my life.  Maybe I shouldn’t have left everything to the last minute… Oh well.

So when our Saturday morning lesson rolled around I was going to suggest to ST that we just do some work on poles and perfect our trot, until Henry and I had a few more solo practices on our canter work. 

Me at work today



But when she arrived and patted Henry’s face and said “Henry!  Ready to canter?!” I was like… what the hell.  I did warn her that we hadn’t practiced so it might be equally as fugly as last time. 

We spent a fair bit of time working on getting a nice forward trot and doing some more circle-shaped circles.  Then we started the canter off to the right again (his easier direction).  Our transition was actually decent!  His lead was incorrect but we did about a half revolution of the arena.  ST’s theory is that it’s easier for him to canter on the correct lead and at this point we don’t want to criticize him for cantering (even on the wrong lead) because he is technically doing what we ask by cantering – so we reward that.  He will eventually figure out the correct lead is easier.  We tried a second time and he was able to swap out his front end for the correct lead.  We travelled a bit farther this time (almost a full revolution of the arena). 


Lesson learned... don't leave Henry unsupervised.  RIP hair moisturizer  





ST and I decided we should try to the left (which we haven’t tried yet).  We had another decent transition and went a full revolution! 

ST said that she could tell I wasn’t nervous this time to ask for the canter, so our transitions majorly improved.  To be honest last time I was like…. “canter…. I think …. canter….if you aren’t going to do anything stupid”, in lesson #9 I was like “CANTER! WEEE!”.



My attempt at a confo pic in January





I could not be prouder of my little Henry horse!  ST is super impressed with him too. 

I am debating taking him to a little show on the first weekend of March, I have a post about that coming up tomorrow  J

16 comments:

  1. So exciting. It sounds like he's coming along super well :)Also, re: the leads, we did the same thing with Bridget - ask correctly, but take whatever she offered, so long as it was a canter. She eventually figured out her leads on her own and what lead I'm asking for, no magical training skills required :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that leads sorted themselves out! He's not a super forward moving guy so I can see why ST didn't want me to nit pick his leads, it's hard enough to get him cantering. Hopefully we will have both of them consistently like you guys do soon :)

      Delete
  2. Yay!!!! So much canter! So much progress in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Sorry about the moisturizer. Georgie would do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very exciting! Yes Henry loves flinging stuff around... it's his favorite thing.

      Delete
  4. Yay cantering!! Also nice that you went for it anyway even tho it's been busy outside of lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry has been re-reading his notes after our lessons I guess :P

      Delete
  5. I'm glad it went so well! Henry sounds like he is progressing well:)

    ReplyDelete