_

_

Thursday, 23 February 2017

Show?

So I finally consulted the calendar for a local circuit of schooling shows aimed at novice riders and novice horses.  And I realized the season opener is March 4th.
Hmmm.

This happened almost one year ago (our first ride!)


I am debating bringing Henry to do the W/T equitation classes and the two trot poles classes.  I think it would be a good experiment to see what he thinks of riding in a new arena with other horses.  And we don’t even have to jump anything.  But also…ribbons. 

One of the barriers last year to me doing more showing (besides being incredibly broke) was that I didn’t have a trailer.  I still don’t and it’s not looking very promising.  But I have a friend who has a nice little stock trailer she will let me borrow (I’m insisting that I pay).  She’s moved out of the country so she definitely won’t be needing it in the immediate future, so it’s sort of a win-win for both of us.




So I have wheels.  I have already confirmed that the trailer is free and available that day.

But I don’t have a lot of room in my budget… womp womp.  And that’s sort of bumming me out.  I don’t have a proper pair of tall boots (still need to put zippers in one pair and the other pair needs to be re-soled).  I don’t have a proper belt.  I don’t have gloves.  I don’t have a shaped pad for Henry (it’s technically a hunter series). 

I got these for $99 years ago (regular price $399 - score!) but because my right foot was broken I can't get the right boot on... so I need to have zippers put in.. :( $$



I know those things could be strung together on my meager budget but it would be so nice to purchase some nicer items for our show debut.
I’m also still finishing up the course work that I mentioned and am fairly stressed (it’s all due by March 1st).  I’m not sure if adding a show to our near future would add excitement or just more stress.  I am legit getting grey hair.



There is another schooling show in a difference series that runs at the end of March, which I would also like us to attend.  The lowest level is x-rails, which would probably be fine for us too.  But I’m leaning towards the March 4th as our first outing as we don’t have to jump anything.

What do you think?  Should I suck it up and stop being a sad panda about wearing ugly hobo clothes for my first show with Henry?  Or should I wait until I'm less stressed out and have more funds?


28 comments:

  1. Do it! I get wanting to look your best, but I firmly believe it is better to put your money into experiences, lessons and clinics than things. Also, I show in my $7 Canadian tire belt (they have them a ton of the time) and I bet you could get a shaped pad at the Tack Collector for under $20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! I decided not to go for reasons unrelated to my hobo attire haha. But good tips for next time ;)

      Delete
  2. If you are like me you will be stressed no matter when it happens. As long as you have neat attire I don't think it matters. Remember the judge doesn't see you up close. I do think that starting with the ground poles will be confidence boosting for you. But really you should stick with what sounds like the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do like to get stressed about things haha! I decided not to go for reasons not related to my attire but am hoping to attend the next show in the series (in April).

      Delete
  3. The first one sounds perfect for the both of you, but maybe not if it's going to stress you out... That said, I think you should do it! You don't need a fancy belt, any belt will do! Since it's a schooling show, I'm sure any clean pad would be acceptable, white if you have one. Is there a tack store near you? Most have those cotton gloves with the grippers on them for pretty cheap, and they would be more than acceptable. And I bet paddock boots and half chaps are ok too for a schooling show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to do the next show in the series instead! Although I do think I have my attire a bit more sorted now ;)

      Delete
  4. I would say go for it. But think of this year as just an exposure year for Henry. That means go all the places, but aim for the cheap places, schooling shows, and classes you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about your attire. The goal is just to ride Henry in a show environment. Anything else is bonus. When you might need to school or circle your horse in the ring, it's not worth worrying about whether the judge is going to place you lower because you don't have gloves.

    The above is what I did with Kachina last year. We did a total of 10 shows/clinics. We weren't the prettiest pair, sometimes I couldn't even bathe Kachina, our scores weren't awesome, but we did get exposure. By the end of the show season I was just as comfortable riding Kachina in a new place as at home and that was a huge win for me (the couple ribbons we got were just icing on the cake). Now this year I am actually planning to show with the goal of being presentable and decently trained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I will need to continually to remind myself that it's an exposure year I think. I decided not to go to the show mentioned in this post for un-related to attire reasons, but am hoping to get out to the next one :)

      Delete
  5. Well, the least amount of stress is the most important, but i would go for it! It is a schooling show. You are going to get him exposed and see how he does. See what you need to work on. Having all the things and looking just so is not the most important part. I am not saying go out there in stains and holes, but show up with what you do have that is best. Have him and yourself as well turned out as possible, have fun, and learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to go to the next show in the series instead! I'm curious to see how it goes. :) Definitely my attire is not the most important thing (though I think I have it sorted now).

      Delete
  6. I vote yes, and echo the reasons above. It's a schooling show, and the more easy miles you can get the better. Around here for our schooling shows as long as you're neat and tidy you're fine. I'd call the organizers, even if they're super sticky about attire and tack, they'll still likely let you ride HC for the schooling opportunity. Just go have fun as you are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have my attire sorted out now, but have decided to do the next show in the series instead :) It still won't be anything fancy but at least I won't have to stress about not having any boots haha

      Delete
  7. I say go for it, especially being a schooling show! Ebay is also a good place to look for some nice used show stuff on a budget. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebay is a great idea! I'll have to start looking around a bit now (things take forever to ship to Canada sometimes).

      Delete
  8. Unless the show is requiring specific attire, just go and enjoy yourself and don't worry about the gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showing and me enjoying myself do not usually go together hahah, hopefully after a good/quiet season on Mr. H I will have more fun doing it. I've decided to do the next show in the series instead :)

      Delete
  9. Sometimes, at the beginning of the season, after a long winter, we're like "MUST SHOW NOW." But I think that if it's stressful and or rushed it may not be much fun. Or, you just need to go into it thinking "Schooling show, will not look my best, but will have fun and gain experience" and then you'll have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had a few more weeks to get organized I would have been a lot less stressed about it for sure haha! I will try to adopt that attitude for sure for my next show of the series (that I'm planning to attend) :)

      Delete
  10. do it do it do it! And have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not! But I am doing the next one ;)

      Delete
  11. Ooh, sounds like a great first outing for Henry! I say go a la hobo style and have fun while Henry gets climatized to the show atmosphere:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to do the next one in the series instead! We will still be hobo-like hahah ;)

      Delete
  12. IMO we can always justify why the time isn't quite right or why the horse isn't quite ready or whatever. But if you really want to horse show usually you can find a way! This sounds like a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nothing is ever quite 100% how I want it to be, and I use that as an excuse a lot.

      Delete
  13. I also reckon go for it. The more places you can get to means more experience for you and Henry!!! Ugh I feel you though. Why do horses cost so much??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to go, but am planning to go to the next one in the series! Horses are so darn expensive haha

      Delete
  14. Go for it!! It is nice to have nice things, but don't stress. I have been showing in paddock boots and half chaps for the last six years, so don't worry at all :)

    As a sidenote, I just wanted to let you know I have changed my blog name, so it may not show up in your reader list anymore. The new url is www dot twoandahalfhorses dot blogspot dot com. You may have to re-enter it into your reader list to follow again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice, I will have to add the new blog name to my list ;)

      Delete