_

_

Saturday, 11 February 2017

To the Moon and Back


I haven’t had a ton of Mystic-related posts in the last few months.  Things have turned around in a big way since our scary trail ride.  I almost felt afraid to write about how great she’s been going - because I would jinx it. 


But we are in such a happy place right now that I just can’t shut up about it (sorry co-workers who don’t even like horses).





Even though I realized shortly after the trail ride from hell that her behavior was most likely pain-related (and regular chiro has resolved this), I decided to also spend more time on the ground with her.  I spend more brushing her than I used to and I’ve been doing a bit of ground work. 



Trying to get a nice photo together but the dead grass is too appealing




I had taken for granted for a long time that I could just hop on her and go down the road.  And I still can - but it’s wise to do a few pre-flight checks, especially with a 4 year old. 






I spent almost every day with her when she was at the training barn, and now I’m lucky to get two or three days a week.  I’ve been making an effort to visit her at least one extra day a week, where I don’t plan to ride.  I just give her a quick brush and a carrot.  In the summer we will be doing a lot more visiting and riding (when it’s not -20) but for now I think she appreciates the extra visit.


We have been having an absolute blast riding with C!  C has a newly broke horse, named Dolly, that she is riding and Mystic has been such a perfect trail buddy.  I think Mystic’s calmness and confidence really helps Dolly relax.  I can’t wait until the weather warms up so we can go on longer adventures!



Dolly is a cute Welsh pony <3



Also, Mystic and I recently had a big milestone.  As of January 28 I have been her person for 4 years.





I have never connected with a horse so strongly like that right off the bat.  She seemed to trust me instantly.  She was a sassy little peanut sometimes but she almost always tried her best to do the right thing. 


I feel incredibly safe when I ride her (especially after we’ve built our trust bank back up recently).  I haven’t owned a lot of horses that I wanted to canter in open spaces, but it doesn’t faze me at all on her.  She carried me so carefully when I went through a bit of a rough patch last spring.   I will be forever grateful for those long rides with just her and my dog. 


Here's to many more happy trails this spring and summer!  




20 comments:

  1. This gives me hope for me and Annie :) I am so glad things turned a new leaf with you and Mystic - also congrats on the 4 years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie seems super sweet :) Yeah I am really enjoying my mare right now, I feel pretty lucky she's my girl :)

      Delete
  2. <3 I love this update! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe,she's a sweetheart. So happy you're both having a blast. Happy Horseaversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a good pony for sure! Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet post <3 Mystic is adorable, glad you too have such a good connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! She's a good girl for sure.

      Delete
  5. Happy 4 year anniversary! Sounds like a great parntership!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you guys are back on the right track. Happy Gotcha day!

    ReplyDelete