_

_

Monday, 3 April 2017

Ride or Die


I’m hoping to have a few more detailed posts coming out shortly but in the meantime I wanted to give a few quick updates and share my plan of attack for April. :)


There are lots of exciting things happening with the horses and some not so exciting (read: condo board – rot in hell) things happening with my soon-to-be-listed condo.  But here are the Coles notes about the horse stuff:


Apollo



- Apollo has been fantastic lately!  He had a lesson with ST and we got some great homework.  He has been a little spicy I have more tricks up my sleeve to channel that energy now.

-Apollo is booked in for 30 days with RK (the wonderful human who started Henry) to learn how to be a trail horse for my husband, starting May 1st. 

-Apollo’s current saddle is out on trial as I look for something more husband-friendly (and also sort of hoping for something he can share with Mystic).  I have mixed feelings about this but I honestly can't afford to buy something without selling something.

 


Mystic


- Mystic is doing awesome!  She had a week or two off because the weather/footing was gross for a bit.  We had our two rides back over the weekend and she was pretty much perfect.

- She has had more chiro work and has a dental appt booked next week. 

- She randomly sprouted a legit wither and suddenly our little barrel saddle fit like crap and seemed to be bugging her (so I sold it, and am back to riding a 4 year old baby neigh neigh bareback….#barebackhobo4lyfe).  Yay for more saddle hunting. 

 


Henry


- This horse tho.  So I’ve been cantering Henry on my own and he seems to be getting the leads more consistently.  Our ride schedule has been a bit all over the place (sometimes lots of rides and then like a week off) and he has been super sensible.  

-He did a flying change my last lesson with ST when he initially started on the wrong lead.  HOLY CRAP HENRY YOU ARE AMAZING.  I have a whole brag post about him coming up soon so I will shut up for now.

- Henry’s saddle is working well, I am planning to have the flocking customized to him a bit more in the near future.

 


So yes, ponies are wonderful!  I have decided to make a goal for myself in April to ride Henry and Apollo for 15 hours each and to ride Mystic for 10 hours (total for the month).  That probably doesn’t seem like a lot to many of you but I am the queen of the 20 minute ride… and we need to start expanding beyond that into some semblance of fitness.  Especially for Apollo & Henry, as one is going to learn some new skills and the other is getting fit to go on some other adventures (ie schooling shows when I am less broke).   That works out to 3.75 hours a week for the boys and 2.5 hours a week for Mystic.  I would love to ride Mystic more too but I am unfortunately somewhat at the mercy of the weather/footing at this time of year.


I found that the first two weeks of March I did great with riding quite a bit but with the stress with the condo board/house sale I lost my consistency.  No excuses this month, ponies need to be fit and ready for a fun/adventure-filled summer.  Hope to share more soon! 


Also, a bit of sad news :(  My cat Spartacus is having some health issues at the moment.  Good vibes appreciated.


20 comments:

  1. Sending good vibes for Spartacus!

    Boo for more saddle shopping, but everything else on the horse front sounds great! I really like your hours of riding goals. I need to do that too. I am the reverse of you, I am good at doing longer rides but bad at ride frequency. I need to get more hours in the saddle too to accomplish other goals. I look forward to reading your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spartacus says thank you! He is feeling much better now.

      Yeah I am not looking forward to more saddle shopping. At least Mystic and Apollo are comfier to ride bareback than bouncy Henry haha!

      Delete
  2. So excited for you with the ponies! They sound like they're all doing great! And flying lead change from Henry! I'm so excited about him!!!
    Sorry to hear about the condo drama and that your cat is under the weather. I hope everything works out and Spartacus is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ponies are so great! I wish the condo BS wasn't dampening my mood so much :(
      Spartacus is feeling much better! :)

      Delete
  3. oh man, bummer about saddle shopping. feels like you can't catch a break bc it seems like at least one of the horses is always needing something different. good luck with Spartacus too, and i love your hourly/monthly riding goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am so sick of saddle shopping, I kind of thought we had things figured out there for a minute haha! Spartacus is feeling better now, just a few more days of meds :)

      Delete
  4. Get well soon, pretty kitty cat :) Here's hoping for a wonderful summer and lots more great rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says thank you ;) I think this summer is gonna be one for the books!

      Delete
  5. All the best to spartacus...enjoy your pony time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's feeling much better now :)

      Delete
  6. Yes- it's time to ride. I admire your ability to ride three! And good vibes for the cutest of kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes juggle three really well and then sometimes I totally suck at it. I just do my best! Only Apollo really gets spicy with time off (and it's still very minor compared to some) so it's not the end of the world! Thanks for the good vibes :)

      Delete
  7. Sending good vibes for Spartacus! And sounds like you're keeping busy -- I can't even manage to keep two in steady work, I'm so impressed at your juggling three šŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he's doing much better now! Three in work is interesting... sometimes I get into a great groove and get lots of riding done, other times life goes crazy and everyone ends up with a week off.

      Delete
  8. Man, I barely have time to ride 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 is a lot! 3 is nearly impossible haha. Part of the reason Apollo is going for some trail horse boot camp, so my husband can trail ride with me sometimes :)

      Delete
  9. I hope your kitty feels better! And you finally find some well fitting saddle for ALL THE HORSES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he's doing much better now! Yeah everyone had their own saddle that fit for about 5 minutes there, it was nice.

      Delete
  10. Aren't all condo boards just rotten little trolls crawled up from the depths of hell just to torment us? Ugh, well at least horses sound like they are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES OMG I HATE THEM. I've lived in a condo for almost 8 years and haven't had any major issues (besides special assessments slowly eating any savings I accumulated) but now that I'm trying to leave they are being ridiculous. But yes things on the pony front are pretty wonderful so I try to focus my brain on that haha :)

      Delete