I’m hoping to have a few more detailed posts coming out shortly but in the meantime I wanted to give a few quick updates and share my plan of attack for April. :)
There are lots of exciting things happening with the horses and some not so exciting (read: condo board – rot in hell) things happening with my soon-to-be-listed condo. But here are the Coles notes about the horse stuff:
- Apollo has been fantastic lately! He had a lesson with ST and we got some great homework. He has been a little spicy I have more tricks up my sleeve to channel that energy now.
-Apollo is booked in for 30 days with RK (the wonderful human who started Henry) to learn how to be a trail horse for my husband, starting May 1st.
-Apollo’s current saddle is out on trial as I look for something more husband-friendly (and also sort of hoping for something he can share with Mystic). I have mixed feelings about this but I honestly can't afford to buy something without selling something.
- Mystic is doing awesome! She had a week or two off because the weather/footing was gross for a bit. We had our two rides back over the weekend and she was pretty much perfect.
- She has had more chiro work and has a dental appt booked next week.
- She randomly sprouted a legit wither and suddenly our little barrel saddle fit like crap and seemed to be bugging her (so I sold it, and am back to riding a 4 year old baby neigh neigh bareback….#barebackhobo4lyfe). Yay for more saddle hunting.
- This horse tho. So I’ve been cantering Henry on my own and he seems to be getting the leads more consistently. Our ride schedule has been a bit all over the place (sometimes lots of rides and then like a week off) and he has been super sensible.
-He did a flying change my last lesson with ST when he initially started on the wrong lead. HOLY CRAP HENRY YOU ARE AMAZING. I have a whole brag post about him coming up soon so I will shut up for now.
- Henry’s saddle is working well, I am planning to have the flocking customized to him a bit more in the near future.
So yes, ponies are wonderful! I have decided to make a goal for myself in April to ride Henry and Apollo for 15 hours each and to ride Mystic for 10 hours (total for the month). That probably doesn’t seem like a lot to many of you but I am the queen of the 20 minute ride… and we need to start expanding beyond that into some semblance of fitness. Especially for Apollo & Henry, as one is going to learn some new skills and the other is getting fit to go on some other adventures (ie schooling shows when I am less broke). That works out to 3.75 hours a week for the boys and 2.5 hours a week for Mystic. I would love to ride Mystic more too but I am unfortunately somewhat at the mercy of the weather/footing at this time of year.
I found that the first two weeks of March I did great with riding quite a bit but with the stress with the condo board/house sale I lost my consistency. No excuses this month, ponies need to be fit and ready for a fun/adventure-filled summer. Hope to share more soon!
Also, a bit of sad news :( My cat Spartacus is having some health issues at the moment. Good vibes appreciated.