_

_

Friday, 21 April 2017

Upside Down

I dragged my husband to the barn to take some photos of Henry and I last night.  And something happened that has never happened to me...ever.



I had fun jumping.






Henry and I did some walking and trotting on the front lawn and I had my husband set up a few crossrails for us.  I got jumped out of the tack on the first few but once I found my balance were were having a blast!



Awkward screen grab moment... video coming!




I have jumped some fairly big jumps in my life (mostly in my teenage years) but I have never had fun.  I have always been glad when it's over.  In my younger years I just never really got a feel for striding but my horse was so hot and athletic that he would just jump from wherever and I just tried to stay out of his way.


Now that I'm in my 30s... I want to do it properly.  And I'm learning... but I'm just not a great natural judge of distance.  I have jumped a bit at Coach D's (on lesson horses) and on Apollo as well.  And when it's sort of an okay round I want to stop.  Because I don't want to screw anything up, so I want to quit while I'm ahead.





But last night on Henry I didn't care about getting jumped out of the tack or if everything was perfect, I just wanted to keep going.  The only reason I stopped is because it started raining (you can see some of the crazy ass clouds in the photos).  My face actually hurts today from smiling and laughing so much.


WTF.

Jumping is fun.  

WTF.

Everything I know is wrong. :P


This horse tho <3




16 comments:

  1. Riding is fun and when it clicks it doesn't matter if it's jumping, trail riding or riding the perfect leg yield. I love that last photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Thanks so much, my husband got lots of nice ones :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Good for you! Denny Emerson has a great exercise for finding your distance that you might like. I use a ground pole and count down 3-2-1 as I approach in canter to gauge my striding. With just a ground pole, you are safe if you don't get it right and chip in or bobble. I have seen him say on his FB page to even use a line in the sand or a leaf or any other type of focal point, but I prefer a ground pole. I actually learned this exercise from Denny when I did his adult camp a few years ago and it was cool to end up being able to count down from even 5 and 6 strides out and nail the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So happy! I love the exercise, I will add that to my repertoire ;)

      Delete
  3. I am so glad everything you know is wrong, lol! Henry sounds like such a cool horse. I can't wait to see where you to end up together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so fun! I can't wait for the snow to leave so we can go on some adventures :)

      Delete
  4. It takes a special horse to teach us to enjoy things that used to lend fear instead of fun. Henry is such a good boy. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is <3 I feel very lucky to be his human.

      Delete
  5. It IS fun! Welcome (back) to the dark side :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally relate! I'm definitely a quit while you're ahead kind of girl too. I'm so happy to read this post! When you find your heart horse, everything you do together is fun! I'm so glad you didn't sell him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful every day that I didn't sell him! He is such a good egg :D

      Delete