_

_

Sunday, 6 August 2017

Afloat

I have lots of get caught up on here.  

Mostly I have just been trying to stay afloat through home buying/selling, car buying (to replace mine after the accident), saddle shopping (for three horses yay), family trips and bridesmaids duties.  The last two things are pretty fun, the other ones are not so much. 



Q-tip head has adventures







I’ll provide a little update for each equine and I’m hoping to regularly post weekly updates on each.


Henry

ST and have determined that Henry’s saddle was likely the root of the bucking.  He has filled out considerably and the saddle seemed to pinch in the wither area.  A saddle fitter confirmed this. 


Hunk of a horse




I wanted to have a big pout about it but decided to try to be brave and carry on doing something with him… bareback… again.  He's been a very good boy.  




I am on the hunt for something temporary (have a few leads) and am planning to book the Devoucoux rep out to help us.  Sadly the wonderful Equipe fitter I used previously passed away last month.  She was such a huge help to me and was very kind to Henry and I both.



 Dressing up like a Golden Girl  
(he was drenched from a rain storm and had a massage booked)




Henry is unfortunately under the weather with a  bad cough (due to fires in a neighbouring province creating a lot of smoke).  He had a week off while I was away for a family vacation and it developed during that time.  I’m treating him with Zev and it seems to be helping.  Since we ride indoors (bareback people like to stay where the ground is soft on their green baby warmbloods) I decided to just give him more time off, the arena isn’t super dusty but I’d rather err on the side of caution.  

We’ve been doing some light ground work just to keep him focused and doing something.



Apollo

After his disastrous month with the trainer's he decided to be very hard to catch.  He’s still a little sketchy but much better than when he first came home.  It took me longer than usual to get him trimmed (because I couldn’t catch him at all for two farrier appts) so he was a bit sore after I finally got him trimmed.




He is sound now and we are putting the wheels back on.  I haven’t ridden him since he’s been back but we’ve been doing groundwork and just hanging out together.  I feel a lot of guilt and regret about sending him for training with RK but I’m trying to stay positive and focus on what I’d like to do with Apollo in the future.



He also has no saddle (I sold it to pay for the training because I am an imbecile).  I have no qualms about riding him bareback in the interim as I hunt. 

I’m hoping to do some nice photos with him soon to celebrate 10 years together (which happened in June).

Maybe even nice than this one





Mystic

Mystic is my BAMF.  I can’t brag on my mare enough.  She was my first ride after I broke my nose and hasn’t put a foot wrong for me all summer.  




A deer jumped out right in front of her on my very first ride back and she turned her eye to me as if to say “We cool?”  And I’m like “We cool.”.  She shrugged and carried on. 



I did feel on our last ride that she was feeling just a bit uneven behind so I’ve booked a chiro to work on her.  She is also due for a trim next weekend so that may help too.



She also does not have a saddle.  (Yes that’s right, I have three horses and no saddles because I am ridiculous).  I ride her all over the place and it doesn’t phase me.  This is by no means my long term plan but for now we are managing.


A note on bareback hobo life:

I am working really hard to get my herd fitted with something that works well for each of them but due to lack of budget it may take a while.  I am doing my best to remedy this but with some unexpected expenses occurring recently I don’t know when we’ll get it sorted.  I feel frustrated and bummed out about this but I also don’t want to overextend myself financially either.  It has been pointed out to me that if I had less horses I could probably afford nicer tack (accurate) but that’s not on the table at this point.  Just trying to keep swimming and slowly chip away at this.

If my condo would sell and I could buy an acreage that would be very helpful in this area :P  Fingers crossed!



I’m excited to do some blog reading to catch up with everyone! :)


23 comments:

  1. Lucky ponies to have such a loving owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think how good your balance will be after all the bareback riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! I've been telling my friends that I'll either have an amazing seat or will die XD

      Delete
  3. Seriously just keep swimming--once you have your acreage, three is a perfect number ;) Doing what makes the most sense to the masses versus following your own dream usually never matches up. At one point when I was growing up we were very poor (like often no food level poor) but my mom made sure we kept our horses and we always found a way to make it work through the hard times. I will be forever grateful she did not do the 'most sensible' thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will do my best to keep swimming! Horses are totally worth it (and I know having them at home will be amazing). <3

      Delete
  4. i'm glad to hear you and the horses are doing ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be on the lookout for a Natural Ride Saddle Pad. It is a bareback pad with "fork" that stabilizes it so you can actually USE the stirrups. I LOVE mine that I got on eBay, and I know other riders who have used them on youngsters who keep changing shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, thanks for the recommendation! I will check those out. I would love to have some stirrups haha

      Delete
  6. You should be on the lookout for a Natural Ride Saddle Pad. It is a bareback pad with "fork" that stabilizes it so you can actually USE the stirrups. I LOVE mine that I got on eBay, and I know other riders who have used them on youngsters who keep changing shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We would have a lot of nice things if we had less horses, but that would be no fun at all. You're managing pretty well with what is on your plate at the moment. Just keep on keeping on and things will come together for all of you! I'm glad Mystic is being such a rock for you, and that you've figured out Henry's bucking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, more ponies are worth it :) I have a good feeling that the condo will sell soon and get the ball rolling on everything else!

      Delete
  8. I'm sure the horses couldn't care less about not having state of the art tack to show off. Look on the bright side of things. The bareback riding will make you a better rider and you'll be more in tune with your horses movements. Apollo will be fine he just needs some more quality time with you and him alone. Have more fun rides on Mystic and forget about all the negatives. Only focus on the positive side of things. Just think how lucky you are to have three great horses. Not everybody can say that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want them to have nice things that fit well and are good quality. I do have a few leads now at least! You are right, I am so lucky to have three great horses :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the update. You have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to hear from you again! Sorry that the acreage/condo/car/saddle situations are not yet resolved, but hopefully they will be soon, good luck! I am in awe of your bareback hobo skills! I feel like forced bareback riding would help my position so much, but I'm just not brave enough to put away my saddle =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are definitely still up in the air! Hopefully I eventually get a good seat from this adventure haha

      Delete
  11. Aw man, I hope things get sorted out soon. Sounds like you are doing your best, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back to to the blogosphere.

    And now for my $0.02. While I would love to hear about the herd each week, keep telling yourself that ain't no one paying you and you don't gotta do nothing here. Your life at the moment is ... um ... joyously full. Find a way that the blog to adds to your life rather than adds to your to-do list. I blog every day b/c sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me sane. What works for you? Daily? Weekly? Whenever the mood strikes? Long updates? Short? A picture and a joke? It's your space. No one can tell you how best to use it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true for sure :) I really like having a journal for my own personal reflection later on so I like to be thorough and consistent but this year has been a tough one on me. I might try your daily idea to be honest, just a little something even sometimes would probably help me get into a better groove :) <3

      Delete